Often Science remains like a sarcophagous in a limb disconnected from social reality, considering the social reality being also the dentistry not only the plurality of citizens.
The self-referentiality, the distortion of data, and industrial conditioning, determine at times a serious stagnation of the contents, if not a repetition of theories and dogmas; these are sometimes revisited and re-presented with a different dress like who talks still about TENS in orthodontics treatments without knowing that this technique was hardly criticized and considered unsuitable for clinical use in 1973. This last topic will be dealt with in detail in the specific chapters of Masticationpedia.
We have a wealth of scientific topics of extraordinary paradigmatic innovation available, but we do not have the ability to exploit its clinical advantage. The reasons for this slowdown in transferring 'Science' to the citizen through the dentist, are the 'primum movens' of Masticationpedia.
Masticationpedia was born from the awareness of this reality and it is for this reason that, thanks to the intellectual donations by some scientists and colleagues, innovative basic science can be spread at no cost and, contextually, with the economics donations that will be made, we will can realize a fund in order to active scientific and social projects in all over the world sensitive to this ideology.
Each project will be carried out with the budget available without having to look for funding from credit institutions, government agencies or investors (see Brainstorming).
In order to obtain the maximum diffusion of the contents, as well as to be able to comment on them, it was chosen the fruition of these courses through Youtube. Subscription to the Youtube channel will give you the opportunity to always be informed of new editions.
It should be borne in mind that these online update courses have the requirement of a theoretical clinical implementation that will give to the colleague, interested in the neurognathological rehabilitation model, the opportunity to continue their training and reach the habilitation to employ the methods according to the guidelines set point from Masticationpedia.
Practical training will take place through courses directly in the 'Education Centers' that will be formed over time and which will give life to an innovative model called Masticationpedia Network. (follow the rationale of the project in Masticationpedia Network)
The academy will provide professional updating contextualized to the topics covered in Masticationpedia such as the one reported below regarding the first chapter 'Introduction'. It should be borne in mind that the Refresher Courses in Masticationpedia Academy have the requirement of a scientific clinical information of maximum diffusion; they therefore are mainly online, while the Training and qualification courses will be treated in Masticationpedia Network.
What kind of update is implemented in the Masticationpedia Academy?
Masticationpedia is a scientific project that targets the implementation of a specific sector of medicine: masticatory rehabilitation.
This is a very broad topic, ranging from orthodontics to implant-prosthetic rehabilitation, but also has an important position in the field of neurophysiology, both in the field of Orofacial Pain and degenerative diseases and neuropathies in general.
In Masticationpedia Academy the usable topics will therefore have a variety of themes that will be schematized in a specific way (see below).
The Academy will provide two types of online professional updating
Masticationpedia wiki video clips
|Video presentation||Introduction Chapter|
Masticationpedia clinical topics video clips
What should I do to follow the updates?
Nothing, you can follow the updates without any restrictions, although if you want to comment, implement the project or discuss a specific topic you can do it in the 'Discussion' page (only as a registered user).
Updates consist of an educational model meant to prepare colleagues who want to join the Masticationpedia Network. For more information please see Masticationpedia Network.
How can I contribute?
There are several ways to implement and support Masticationpedia. Anyone can make an intellectual and/or economic contribution.
- About the economic contribution, there are no restrictions: if you wish to donate to this Project, you can access the 'Donate' section and decide your method and form of donation
- About the intellectual contribution, there are instead some more stringent rules. All colleagues who want to donate part of their know-how in video form, must first register and then send a video submission request to the 'Research' email in the Contacts section
- A Monaco 1, R Cattaneo, A Spadaro, G Marzo. Neuromuscular diagnosis in orthodontics: effects of TENS on the sagittal maxillo-mandibular relationship . Our J Paediatr Dent. 2008 Dec;9(4):163-9
- R W Bessette, J T Quinlivan. Electromyographic evaluation of the Myo-Monitor. J Prosthet Dent.. 1973 Jul;30(1):19-24. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(73)90073-5.
- The unmoved mover (Ancient Greek: ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ, romanized: ho ou kinoúmenon kineî, lit. 'that which moves without being moved') or prime mover (Latin: primum movens) is a concept advanced by Aristotle as a primary cause (or first uncaused cause) or "mover" of all the motion in the universe.